Saturday, July 31, 2010

Weekend Market Report July 31

Welcome to the Weekend Market Report.

This regular feature is a joint venture between myself and Diann from The Thrifty Groove.

I share my adventures at the Farmers Market, and Diann shares her adventures at the Flea Market.
Here is Troy's report



Well, This was an exciting day at the Farmer's Market.

First of all, I had several new products to sell. You can read all about them in great detail on my Handmade Monday post this Monday, But I added a Dried Crushed Herb Blend, An Herb & Oatmeal Milk Bath, and an Herbal Salt Scrub.

When I got there, the Market master was assigning spots. Apparently our grumbling and complaining finally worked, because the Mayor and the Economic Development Director painted lines and divided the lot up, and we all now have permanent spots.

The first question I asked was whether or not I would be next to generator man. I was informed that there will no longer be generators allowed at the market.

WooHoo! It's already shaping up to be a better market day!

So, my new, permanent location, is in the middle of the short leg of an "L". On my left is the big produce vendor,

and on my right is a vacant spot that will only be used if absolutely necessary because it has a storm drain in the middle of it. On the other side of that is a booth owned by a guy who owns a feed store. One of his employees works it each Saturday, and sells pet foods, and handmade woodcrafts.

My neighbors are both friendly and good neighbors. Neither of them has a generator, a boom box, or any of the other annoying things that people like to bring to these kind of things.

It took about 45 minutes to set up. I need to leave 15 minutes earlier, so I can arrive at 9:15, instead of 9:30. Set-up is a bit more complicated than it was the first week or two.

Diann was very busy at home today, so I set up "Her" table. It wasn't as nice and fancy as when she does it, but I thought it looked presentable.

Especially with the new placemats she found at a Dollar Store while we were out adventuring last week.

She also found some placemats for me, and they really made my new products stand out and look nice.

I had a whole bunch of hot pepper plants that just needed homes, so I offered one free to any one who made a purchase. I gave away 9 of them and sold one to someone who just wanted a pepper plant and nothing else.


The water sprayer made demonstrating the Herbal Salt Scrub a snap,
and that probably explains why I sold out with more than two hours to go.

I think I could have sold another dozen at least if I would have had them.



We sold out of Herbal Salt Scrub, sold a few assorted cut herbs, enough bottled water to pay for the ice and still make some money, some herb blend, several of Diann's Tea Kits, and some Peppermint plants in the cute little Terra Cotta pots.

A lady who bought two of them, did it because she liked the pots. Her daughter told her the mint was going to get too big for the pot, but she answered, "Not if I keep cutting it back it won't."

My only disappointment was that I didn't sell any Milk Baths. I don't know if they were priced wrong, packaged unattractively, or if I just have a lot of customers who don't bathe...

Over all, it was a great day at the market, weather was nice, the crowd was good, generator man didn't even show up, and our sales were just over double our best day up to this point.



..................................


Diann spent the day doing all the icky things that have to be done to get ready for a two week vacation, getting laundry done, sorted, put away, then pulling it back out and packing it. Washing, cleaning, scrubbing vacuuming, all that stuff, so the house will be clean when we come home. Nothing is quite as nice as your own home when you have been on vacation, and nothing is as depressing as coming home to more chaos than you have been vacationing with, so she worked her fingers to the bone all day, so we would have a nice clean happy home to come home to.

As a result, she didn't make it to the flea market, so she has nothing to report today.

I offered to take some pictures of her scrubbing and cleaning and folding laundry, so she would have something to post, but she just didn't think I was very funny.
Be sure and join me each Tuesday for Tuesday Trivia Tie-in, where readers are invited to share trivia and show off their treasures.
Read all about it here


And don't forget to enter my giveaway,
check it out here

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very good day and I'm glad you got a good spot. I would love to know more about the herbal salt scrub! Sounds cool. Your stand is getting cuter all the time.

    Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's face it, no one wants to see my bones sticking out of my overworked fingers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow what a good day -looks like that new law is working for you!
    all your things sound so nice -no wonder you sold so much!
    vickie

    ReplyDelete