Sunday, May 16, 2010

Tuesday Trivia Tie-in #12 Just a Plane Tie (and gnome more)



Welcome to Tuesday Trivia Tie-in. Each Tuesday readers are invited to share a blog post and a bit of related trivia.

I'd like to invite you all to join. Everyone is invited to link up and show off one of your treasures: your pictures, your flowers, your pets, your kids, your parole officer, or anything else that you want to show off, and tell us some interesting information related to it.

My posts will always be about one of my ties, but your posts can be about anything. The point is to share something you have that you want to show off, and add a little background information.

My tie of the week is one I got on Ebay. It has no name, so I call it my airplane tie.


Can you guess why?

It was made by Someone named Linda, who made this one and several others that I bought in one lot. Some of the tags say " Fashioned by Linda's Sewing Shop" and some say "Made with love by Mom."



They are all made with the same pattern and out of the same type fabric. Some have been worn, and some, like this one are brand new. I paid $3 for six ties.



My tie went on an adventure this week, through the airport, posing for pictures.







I appreciated the nice Delta airlines pilot, who let me use his hat. He saw me taking pictures and asked what I was doing. When I told him, he said he thought I was like the people who take pictures with garden gnomes.


That got me wondering. Why do they do that?

So, I decided to find out.

Garden Gnomes date back to the early 1800s in Germany, where they were first crafted by hand from terracotta clay.

Most of the original gnomes were not like the happy, smiling little men we often see today. They were mean and grumpy dwarfs. This gnome image continued until 1937, when Walt Disney created “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”. Happy, Sneezy, Bashful, Sneezy, Doc, Grumpy and Dopey became favorites all over and they probably changed the image of the popular gnome forever

The traditional modern garden gnome is depicted as a small man with a beard who wears a colorful hat. Folklore states that garden gnomes come to life to tend the gardens when no one is looking. They are guardians and protectors of their gardens. This is a good thing for people who don’t have a green thumb, as gnomes are said to ensure the fertility of the land and vitality of the vegetation on it.

Gnomes have adorned lawns of avid gardeners for a very long time, but in recent years many a garden enthusiast have snubbed the poor creatures, touting them as “kitschy.” This sparked the formation of organizations that pledged to support and even to "liberate" gnomes.

This led to the practice of "Gnoming" wherein a gnome is removed from its garden home and taken on a trip. The gnome is photographed in front of various landmarks and the pictures are sent to the gnome owner, whose prized garden has undoubtedly suffered in the absence of the gnome.


This practice, in turn, has caused the gnome to become a symbol of carefree traveling.

Today, if a gnome makes you laugh, it is serving its intended purpose. Many of today’s garden gnome statues are way more fun than most conventional garden statues.

Two examples, recently seen on Amazon.com:



So that's it for this week, just a plane tie and gnome more.

And on a side note, I guess airplanes aren't the only thing that flies in airports.... Look what I saw:

Do you have a garden gnome? Do you have a traveling object that you take pictures with when you travel?

I'd love to hear about them.

Ok, Now it's your turn. Enter your link below. Make sure you link to your post and not just your main blog.

Be sure and join me each Tuesday for Tuesday Trivia Tie-in, where readers are invited to share trivia and show off their treasures.

For a complete list of the rules, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Love the airplane tie and the field trip to the airport!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, if I sit out in our garden with a pointy hat, do you think someone will steal me away and take me all over the world?

    (where's my gnome hat?)

    ReplyDelete