Sunday, April 19, 2009

Inch By Inch, Row by Row

In 1978, David Mallet, wrote The Garden song, which started out like this:

"Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below'
Til the rain comes tumbling down"


Every year, around this time, as I get the gardening bug, I think about that song. Arlo Guthrie recorded it at one time, and a more popular version was sung on the Muppet Show, by John Denver.

But I like the original, by Dave Mallet, and I find myself humming it softly to myself, as I play in the garden.

Here is Dave Mallet himself, singing his song:



The song went through my head today again, as I lifted the lid on my "greenhouse"
and saw all the baby plants starting to grow.

This is my favorite part of gardening, I feel like a little kid, and I want to run in every morning and check them, as soon as I get up.








There aren't any real leaves yet, but they are just such cute little seedlings.






Of course, there are a lot more than I will need, and eventually they will have to be thinned out, but I'm hoping to have some strong healthy plants to choose from.














Aren't they just about the cutest little plants you've ever seen?



0 comments:

Post a Comment